The Cinefamily is a non-profit movie theater in the heart of Los Angeles - offering eclectic shows inexistent at normal venues.
This case study is not associated with Cinefamily; it was done solely to refine my UX skillset.
Timeline: 2 Weeks
Tools and Software: Paper & Pen, Post-it Notes, Sketch App, Marvel, Photoshop, Excel
UX Skills: Heuristic Evaluation, Guerrilla Interviews, C&C Analysis, Card Sorts, User Flows, Site Maps, Personas & Scenarios, Information Architecture, Sketching, Mock Ups, Prototyping, User Testing, Iterations
Jakob Nielson’s 5 Qualities of Usability
One super sexy spreadsheet with usability scores
Site has too many functions (especially external to site).
Site incapable of educating users about upcoming films.
Confusing homepage - no focal point.
I visited Cinefamily to ask their users what they used the site for. The results? Everybody only used the site to buy tickets.
- “My friend took me to this show. He heard about it on social media.”
- “I didn’t even know you could purchase stuff online.”
- “Sometimes, I purchase my tickets online only to find out by the time I get here that the show is sold out”
- “I usually just have Google Chrome generate my credit card information. I didn’t know you could sign in”
How might we increase business revenue for Cinefamily.com by introducing new functions?
Persona Development: Natalie
Age: 29 Years Old
Occupation: Public Relations Specialist
Relationship Status: Engaged
Natalie's favorite brands
When websites offer lots and lots of information
Having access to the hottest and most exclusive events in LA
When things don’t work correctly
Not being in the loop of what’s hot and happening
Natalie wants to find a movie to watch, but is struggling to find out what is popular and learn about them. From Natalie’s pain points, I created a feature prioritization chart indicating the most critical functions of the redesign.
Features were brainstormed and posted on post-its. Then, features were entered into a spreadsheet. I worked with up-and-coming developers to determine LOEs.
The main navigation had 9 links. The goal to streamline navigation and ensure that main features were prioritized.
Original Site Map
Takeaways: the site has too many navigational links. Users weren't interacting with most of the website.
Original User Flow
Takeaways: Nobody used the site for e-commerce. Nobody signed in. There was no lead generation. No customer retention.
Revised Site Map + User Flow
After a series of iterations, a final site map and user flow was decided. On the site map, precision and conciseness was a focus. On the user flow, efficiency was a focus -- particularly when introducing the browsing functionality.